Lean in New Product Introduction (NPILean)
In a nutshell, NPILean applies Lean Thinking to new product introduction. Much like a manufacturing value stream involving order input to order fulfillment, a New Product Introduction value stream involvescustomer needs to new product/service development fulfilling those needs. This process too is replete with several forms of waste and flow detractors thatdelay the new product introduction. NPILean therefore applies Lean methods to new product introduction with an aim to achieve timely and right first time new products.
What We Do
Our approach involves recognizing complexities in the current product development value stream and fixing them in the to-be process. Tools such as Quality Function Deployment (QFD), Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA), Design for Manufacture & Assembly (DFMA) etc. are selectively applied based on the nature of product or service being introduced. Typical deliverables include:
- Identifying customer requirements and converting them into design elements of the product to optimize it
- Identifying wasteful processes during product development phase and eliminating themthrough value stream transformation
- Optimizing assembly costs and tolerancing of new products even before the detail designs are taken
- Optimizing component count at the design stage itself
- Selecting suitable vendors and their locations
- Optimizing organizational structure and plant location
How We Help Clients
SSA believes in a holistic approach to new product introduction. Our NPI transformation process covers aspects of organization structure redesign, changes tocustomer interface processes and many other facets of current business processes. Typical results include reduction in NPI lead time by less than half and First-Time-Right new products that meet and exceed customer expectations, and reduction in overall product development costs. Added benefits include lesser hassles in manufacturing of the new product andhigher reliability of new products.