Godrej customer products
Godrej Consumer Products (GCPL) is a leading consumer products company in emerging markets. As part of the 120-year old Godrej Group, they have a proud legacy built on values of trust, integrity and respect. In line with their 3 by 3 approach to international expansion, the company is growing fast with exciting, ambitious aspirations across Asia, Latin America and Africa. GCPL has been one of SSA’s long-standing clients and over the years we have partnered on several lean transformation programs world-wide, helping them become leaner and agile with significant productivity gains overall.One such initiative was a lean transformation program across their Africa business.
SSA helped GCPL drive productivity improvement across its hair extensions business in Africa. GCPL leadership believed that there was significant labor productivity improvement opportunities in this business and engaged SSA to help deliver this initiative. SSA undertook an initial diagnostic study across their plants in West Africa and this study identified tremendous opportunities that could transform the operations and help make it leaner, agile and more profitable. This translated into a multi-year engagement with Godrej during which SSA undertook several productivity improvement assignments for their business across East and West Africa. SSA facilitated the transformation of production systems from batch to flow and help streamline their manufacturing systems to support superior service levels.
The key deliverables achieved were
- Manufacturing transformation across product categories with high demand and fairly complex processes, which helped to significantly improve productivity per person (PPP)
- Designed new production lines with appropriate capacity to fulfill monthly demand and flexibility to produce all kinds of products
- Brought in daily work management and daily performance dashboards systems to create a culture of accountability and transparency
- Initiated conceptualisation of low cost automation, based on areas identified for de-skilling
- Coached and supported the middle management team on implementing Lean techniques
- Achieved 20-40% improvement in overall productivity (productivity per person) for different product categories leading to saving in labor costs
- Build a culture of daily work management and accountability for problem solving at all levels
- Lead times dropped significantly and this helped service levels to improve; this initiative helped tone up the operations and make it future-ready
“We engaged SSA to help improve our Africa manufacturing through lean. They helped us to identify productivity improvement levers. They partnered with us during the implementation phase of the lean transformation journey. The beauty of working with SSA is that they become a part of your team and seamlessly collaborate. I wish SSA all the best in their endeavours worldwide.”
- Omar Momin, Head M&A and Business Development